Sunday, September 25, 2011

Girls' Night

It's the girls' night out, na na night out..... I've been known to randomly break in to 1980's songs. Aren't they great? My kids don't seem to appreciate them the way I do. I know the look exchanged between my older two girls. It is the same look my sister and I would give each other regarding our mom. My girls don't understand that I am a cool mom.They should feel privileged to have me. :) (I can see their eyes roll as they read this.)
They may not think I am the raddest mom but I sure think they are pretty special. I don't often get to spend one on one time with any of my kids. I'm determined to see that we do. Friday was mother/daughter night with D.
Things I love about this picture:

  • Dakota looks so beautiful and grown up. (Perhaps I don't like that she looks so grown up....)
  • She is wearing my high school cheerleading jacket. Maybe she thinks I'm cool, after all. Or at least my old clothes are.
  • Her cowboy boot necklace shows a little window to her heart. My necklace was a gift from my sweet sister.
  • My earrings were made by Emmaly just for me. She picked red because it is my favorite color. What an observant, giving girl.
  • The background shows Austin's Chevy Luv .....the cutest truck ever!
  • You can take a little peek at the play yard....swingset and trampoline.
  • I would say that I like my flannel shirt and hat but I was informed by my ever-stylish girls that I looked like a lumberjack. They meant it in a "good way". Of course. Most lumberjacks try for the classy look.
D and I both love a good book. She averages a novel or two a week. I love reading the same story and then having our own book club discussions afterward. (B joins our club once in a while.) I have been wanting to read The Help. When I heard it was coming out in theatres I decided to wait and watch the movie before I read the book.
It was a wonderful movie and I had fun company. D was the youngest one in the theatre. (Unless you count the two kids that were probably there because of a lack of a sitter.) We're looking forward to reading the book now. After the movie we went for a hot drink.
D is for sure going to be a coffee drinker. I say "going to be" but she would love to be now. I let her indulge once in a while. Maybe I would give in more if I understood the coffee-hype. I'm a hot chocolate girl. I'm also really dumb when it comes to flavors and ordering at a coffee shop. I asked the barista what was good and she gave me an odd look. She answered with a "Well, what do you like?" I felt even more ignorant. If I knew what I liked I wouldn't have asked.  D ordered a chocolate mocha. I ordered a pumpkin-something-or-other in honor of the first day of fall. Then 30 seconds later I couldn't get the taste of chocolate out of my head so I scratched my order and asked for the same thing D had. (I am the MOST indecisive food customer! Something that drives my husband CraZy.) Still wanting to honor autumn's appearance we bought a big slice of pumpkin cake.
She looks like a Simpson in this shot; being yellow and all. I hope you had as much fun as I did, Kodi! It was refreshing to be able to spend time with you! You are a breath of fresh air!  I'm looking forward to next time! ....It's the girls' night to play...all night to play....so don't wait up for me...na na na na na na... :-)

4 comments:

Summer said...

Looks liked a fun time, I had no idea red was your favorite color, I thought it was green. Glad I learn this stuff from your blogs, ha ha.

beachy keen girl said...

Um, I can't stand ordering stuff at the coffee shop...I feel like a ding dong :) And what a fun night out. I loved The Help! So good.

Anonymous said...

Lucky girls...you for a daughter like D...D for a mom like you...BTW...I was a cool mom too...lol.
Mom

SarahC said...

I saw the first picture and immediately thought, hey, I have a jacket like that! I must be cool! Then saw that it was your jacket also from cheerleading, so it is exactly the same jacket! By the way, I still have mine as well, it is hanging in my closet. I have threatened to wear it a couple of times, but haven't as of yet.