Thursday, March 22, 2012

Popsicle Kisses

I definitely would not have won the Mother of the Year award today. I wouldn't have even been nominated. And I'm not including the bloody nose I accidentally gave Corbin with a football or Faith only wearing a T-shirt and diaper in the store because of wet pants and no extra clothes in the diaper bag.

My list of annoyances was long and my temper was short. Annoyances such as catching my little tattoo/graffiti artist with yet another marker, finding the self proclaimed nudist had escaped out the back door for the second time in 20 minutes, discovering important papers had fell victim to the craft table with butter as the fingerpaint, sibling squabbles, messy house, dawdling students, ungrateful attitudes, laundry piles... I was grumbly. I was not wearing my #1 MOM shirt. There could be a reason I don't own one.

Most days I am content, even happy, to be where I have been called in life. Being a mom to six little and not so little people is my career of choice. Though I've never questioned where I am suppose to be, I sometimes wonder if there is something more I could being doing.  I feel my job is to be the caretaker of my family, to love and serve them. I fail everyday. My selfish wants and attitude are a stumbling block of who I want to be. Days like today I have to look hard to find the fun in being a stay home mommy, even though there is nowhere else I would rather be.

I often feel inadequate in motherhood. Shouldn't I have went to college for this? At least a trade school. There should be a book on how to look successful while wearing yogurt in your hair and snot on your shoulder. Maybe the success is surviving it and being able to look back and smile.


I know sometimes my days may seem tedious. Occasionally I feel unappreciated, unnoticed, and unwanted. But life is an adventure and the love I have for my kids far outweighs my pity party. Time will rescue me from trying two year olds and the challenging teen years, but it will also take with it piggy tails, hide-n-seek, dandelion bouquets and loud music. I'm not ready to give those up. So, I will embrace my days of sticky fingers, dirty walls and popsicle kisses.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you. In my book you'll always be #1 MOM :)

Anonymous said...

How can anyone look at these pictures and say "So you don't work a job?" They just made me laugh. One day you will look at those days and laugh too and wonder why you weren't hauled away in a straight jacket. Hahaha! You are a wonderful Mom but you are human too!
Love and miss you all,
Mom

Olivia said...

I can so relate to this, Jamie! Thanks for sharing these glimpses of your life at home.

Aunt Kath said...

Ah Jamie, You are dong eternal stuff. Relax and enjoy these precious children. Our job is to take them to Jesus and let Him touch them. Some days we need to stay there with Him after the kids have left. And 'ya know, that's okay 'cause we're His kids too!
Love you!
Aunt Kath