Wednesday, April 18, 2012

One Blessed Momma

I shamelessly ask for birthday gifts from my children. I even tell them exactly what I want. My usual requests are clean house, obedience and no fighting, those are my three favorite things. Together, they make for a happy mom.


This year I wanted more. I begged asked for individual music performances from each of them. The little kids were thrilled, the big ones.......not so much. But I know that they love their mom and I can usually get what I want.   Shhhh.....don't tell them.


Emmaly started my day with sweet written words.


(When did mommy become mom?......sigh.) I got serenaded all day from my little three.


Mommy's boy made me a "Birthday Queen Chair". Here's where I sat while enjoying precious 5 year old hands rubbing my feet. I love my little man.


I gave a specific song request to Austin. Everyone else chose their own songs. Dakota was the most reluctant. I agreed to no video or pictures for my shy (right!) girl. (Next year I'm asking for video too!) She performed Adele's "Someone Like You". It was awesome!


Brooklyn played and sang "Skyscraper". Demi Lovato would have been proud.  So beautiful.



Also... they memorized their pieces for me. (Above and beyond!)



Austin played a diverse variety of songs for me, "More Than Words", "Enter Sandman", "Give Me Faith", "Sweet Home Alabama", and the one I requested , my all-time-very-favorite-song ever "For The Moments I Feel Faint".



I did not have dry eyes listening to him play. In fact, I had to consciously control my breathing and swallow my sobs. When did my frog chasing, Lego playing, sword fighting, little boy turn into a young man?  Where did 17 years go?

He even gave me the gift of a picture with his mommy. 


My kids blessed my socks off! Even if I had to be a little pushy, I couldn't have received better gifts from them. It was a great day. And I am the luckiest mom alive!

4 comments:

Shannan Martin said...

I LOVE this!!! All of it!

I just told Calvin yesterday to start saving his $ because I'd like a lot of diamonds and gemstones for Mother's Day. Ha!

That last picture slays me.

jodyfoznot said...

You got the best birthday gifts ever! I love this post. I love Corbin's Birthday Queen chair and his "I love you" sign. I love Emmaly's sidewalk-chalk birthday card. I love Faith's big-cheese grin. I love that your older kids serenaded you, even if you had to request it.

I want music on my birthday, too!

You are rich!!!

Love you!

Michelle said...

Corbin looks like an absolute Stinker in that picture with the big grin! So cute! Love it :) No doubts that you are one amazing mom with some pretty spectacular kiddos! Happy belated Birthday!!
Michelle B.

Summer said...

I am going to follow your lead on this, except I am going to ask for people to bake for me. :)