Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hay Day

Summer is my favorite season. I want it to be autumn with her contrasting colors, earthy smells and promise of cool nights. But the heart wants what it wants and summer has always been my love.

Sunshine and warmth are the backdrop for most of my favorite childhood memories. Summertime and fun go hand in hand. In my mind it is a time for taking a break from school and fixed schedules. A time for staying up late and sleeping in, lazy days spent sipping sweet iced tea while soaking in the sun's rays. Lake trips, picnics under the trees, flowers in full bloom, camping with family, catching fireflies, playing tennis, fishing in the dark, vacation days, star gazing, flip-flops, fresh produce....yes, I am in love with summer!

Even if the reality of summer is not what my mind portrays it to be, I feel refreshed during this time of year. More alive. Maybe even younger.

Along with my favorite season comes one of my favorite smells....freshly cut alfalfa hay. (Hello, Yankee Candle makers! I have a new scent for you to produce!) Being the daughter of a hay maker, I have a special place in my heart for tractors and hay fields. I can't say that I loved spending my summer vacations hot, sweaty, and scratched up with sore muscles from baling hay but I do have some pretty great memories, especially since my friends were always willing to sacrifice their freedom to slave away on McCoy Acres. Knowing we would most likely be jumping into a lake or pool afterward was also a wonderful incentive!

Having not baled hay in many years, I was looking forward to the sting of hay bit forearms and working up a thirst that only the community water jug could quench. (Truly, Dad, I was!) I think there is a rule that the temperature must be above 90* to work with hay...ugh!


I like watching my men throw the 50+ pound bales over their heads like it was nothing. 

the McCoy baby brother


Emmaly took a few self portraits while the camera was in her care. Love this one!


I pay my workers in affection. They are so appreciative.

A day of hard work is good for the soul. And word on the street....er....backroad.....is there is a field mowed and ready for baling this Saturday. (Of course the temps are to be record highs!) Come on over, we have plenty of cowboy boots and gloves to share. Come see how farm kids have fun!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to but ... put in any excuse you like :)

Summer said...

Would love to but....ditto above comment.

Anonymous said...

http://chausle.com/?q=node/32735 Oblible empower network shotobitiereLom [url=http://www.thomas.grebe.be/node/17169]earn money online like us[/url]