Monday, October 31, 2011

For Ages 8 and Up

Everyone except one has celebrated a milestone birthday this year in the Bitting house. Austin-16, Dakota-15, Brooklyn -13, Corbin-5, and Faith-1. That leaves Emmaly. Shouldn't every year be a milestone? I think so. Every year that passes is time that we have gained experience and knowledge. At 35, I know that I have so much more wisdom to learn and insight to be acquired. I think that, in itself, is growth. After all, I thought I knew everything when I was younger...as do a couple of my own children. :) I used to look at my elders and think they don't understand me or know much about now days happenings. The older I get the more I realize that knowledge comes from life and experiences just as much if not more than from education. People with blue gray hair and unsteady voices have so much to teach us if we would take time to listen to them and learn. I'm glad that I dismounted that high horse named Know-It-All and put it out to pasture.

Emmaly turned eight on Friday! Eight isn't exactly a landmark birthday but Em decided it was. She told me that now she gets to play every game we own, specifically the ones designed for ages 8 and up. I wonder how long she has been counting down the months and years until she could play Monopoly and Scrabble?  I won't burst her bubble and tell her that Clue actually says 10+.

She also decided that since she was turning 8 she wanted her hairstyle with bangs. I'm always reluctant towards change but I know that haircuts make her feel special. She loved doing Locks of Love earlier this year.
Before
Even though I tried to talk her out of bangs (she has such a pretty forehead), I think it turned out very cute.
After
She has come to the age where I can no longer decide her hairstyle for her. I'm okay with that. I like that she knows what she wants and isn't afraid to try something new. She isn't afraid of much at all. She's a tough girl too. She didn't make one whimper when she had to get a couple stitches a few weeks back.

Just one more scar to add to the tally sheet on how to have a fun childhood. Boring is not in this girl's vocabulary.

We made caramel apples for her special day. They were dipped in goodies like walnuts and mini Reece's Pieces.

She helped make Black Forest Cherry cake. Her new favorite.

Her birthday didn't end up being the merry day she hoped for because a few wrenches were thrown into her plans. I told her that was good because then we could stretch her birthday out into the weekend and even longer. We ended her celebration by walking the town with cousin-friends dressed up, begging for candy.
cowboy, cowgirls, rock star and transformer...what a group
The big sisters and I are in the process of making a special space for Emma in their bedroom. It's not such an easy task with three girls sharing a room. She's always had a place to sleep in there but that is it. Even her clothes closet is in another room. The poor girl doesn't really have a place to call her own. (Now that I think of it.....neither do I. :-) ) I hope when we are finished she feels welcomed and loved. She is such a joy to have  in our family! I hope you had a wonderful birthday weekend, sweet Emmaly Yvonne!


6 comments:

Summer said...

Emmaly - Call me when you are ready to play me in Balderdash!

jodyfoznot said...

Emmaly! Eight is absolutely a milestone! So much bigger than seven. I love her new haircut, except that she looks so much older. Her after photo made me tear up. Black-forest cherry cake...I bet my family would love that!

Love the trick-or-treaters. I'm a little jealous that you got to go with cousins. We sure do miss family around the holidays.

apryl said...

beautiful! love that precious girl♥ looks like someone needs her picture taken, again, by me...:) xo emmaly!

Unknown said...

Love you sweet girl scars and all! :)

Aunt Kath said...

Happy eight birthday, Emmaly! Now that you are old enough to play all the games maybe you can help Uncle Bob create new ones!

Mom (Gram) said...

Being a middle child is hard. Emmaly you handle it with such grace and patience. So proud of you. Love your hair cut and yes it makes you look to much older. Just think you are now 1/2 as old as Austin. I love black forest cake.
Jamie, "your" trick or treaters are adorable!