Monday, January 9, 2012

Bring on the New Year

Today I boxed up the last evidence of Christmas. The plastic 6 1/2 ft Colorado Pine was folded up much like an umbrella and crammed back into the closet where it will live for the next 10 months. The three wise men, along with the whole nativity, are wrapped in newspaper and packed into their 30+ year old box. I wonder what memories of Christmas 2011 my children are locking away to treasure for years to come.
Christmas morning


The picture cards will grace my kitchen all winter long.
Christmas weekend Mom and Dad came up from Missouri, not a long enough visit, but I'm happy they came.

We spent Christmas Eve at my grandparents with my brothers and their families. Unfortunately, my sister and her crew weren't able to make it. We were surprised with a short but sweet visit from them a week later, though!
grandkids minus jody's 
Jody took some pictures of all the kids last summer. One was made into a canvas for Mom and Dad's Christmas gift.
This is the first time I have ever seen my dad with a beard. I even let out a gasp at first look.
He's just a fuzzier big teddy bear.

The highlight of the day was watching and listening to the carols, worship songs and country music played by the talented musicians. New tradition? I hope so!
My dad, brothers, son and nephew


Josh teaching Kodi some chords
future guitar player
Dad playing the mandolin
One of the headbands Mom crocheted for Faith
We left our Christmas tree up so when Jody came it could still feel like Christmas. It didn't work, but that's okay. It was the best ever New Year's treat!
It was so sweet to catch E and L reading the Bible before they went to sleep. 
Fun memories were made with the other side of the family too.  We were blessed to finish out the year and bring in the new year with loved ones. I'm optimistically excited to see what 2012 holds in store.

I have (loosely) made resolutions. I do every year. We won't talk about how they are usually the same ones as the year before....be more organized, exercise, eat healthier, blah blah blah. This year I'm also resoluting (yeah, it's a word.) to stick with the resolutions. :-) But instead of resolutions I'm going to call them goals.
Goal number 1. Make life simpler. (Be more organized)
                     2.Increase my energy. (Exercise)
                     3. Meal plan. (Eat healthier)
:-)I think those are things I will always be working at and I'm okay with doing great sometimes and not so good at other times. Having goals is important but it is also freeing for me to take a break from the rigidness of a schedule.

There are some things this year that I really want to improve on, mostly on what God is calling me to do and who He wants me to be. I want to be a better wife and mother, more patient and aware of what my husband and children need. I want to be an encourager. Above all, I want to be in His will at all times.

Lord, here I am, your servant, your hands and your feet. Use me as you must. Open my eyes to what You see.  Give me the courage to do your work. I am yours.

Another thing I want to try accomplish this year is to share a photo of the week. I thought about doing one picture a day but I can't add one more thing to my daily tasks. And I don't want it to be a task. So, one a week it will be.

Week ONE:
My littlest is a "doffee" thief. Don't leave your cup of joe (or hot chocolate) unattended or little hands, that may have tiny polished nails, will steal your brew and leave you with an empty mug and, most likely, a spill.

OR maybe this pic:
Theses two peas in a pod were born thousands of miles apart and live hundreds of miles from each other. Their love as friends keeps them close and their bond as family means forever. I loved seeing them read scripture together, especially without any prompting.

As you can see, there are no rules to my weekly picture(s).

Welcome 2012!

2 comments:

jodyfoznot said...

I always love how your pictures capture what's happening at the moment. Looking through them gives a real taste of what was actually happening. How very photojournalistic of you! :)

I'm so glad we got to visit with you, even though it was short. (And why didn't you tell me how prominent the little gray wisps of my hair look?! Yikes. Clairol, here I come!)

I like your New Year's goals! By the way, you are my biggest encourager already! I pray that you will also be a big encourager to your husband and kids. May all who leave your presence be filled with hope and joy and peace because of the Spirit of God in you.

Love you!
j

Leah Erik and Seths mom said...

Hello to all of my old neighbors!!

Beautiful families all over the place!!

Jamie~thanks for sharing your life.

Love to you all, Laurie