Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Winter, You're Not So Bad

January has come to an end and, I must tell you, I'm not in the least bit sad to see her go. In fact, I'm hoping February and March quickly follow her into the history books. I'm not fond of cold weather and gray skies. I like color! I want warmth! I need sunshine!

All complaining aside, there are some things I enjoy about the cold weather. Any excuse to have a couch full of kiddos is fine by me.
I like how they cram together and pile on top of each other with no pushing, shoving, pinching, biting, kicking, hitting, yelling, crying........at least not that you can see.

Hearty meals taste better in the winter months. One of my favorite times of the day is sitting at the supper table with my favorite gang. We talk about our favorite part of the day or I ask a question about life and everyone has to answer. Sometimes the questions bring wonderful conversation, other times they are met with rolled eyes.
Ironic my favorite time of day is usually preceded by the day's most stressful hour. It's not easy to cook with little (and big) ones wanting my attention. Crock pot meals make me happy! So do helpers.

I employ kitchen help from all ages.
Why is it the ones who are willing to help the most are the ones who are the least helpful (defined as makes more work for Mom)?

Cold months are also good for snuggling up and sipping warm drinks. This winter I was introduced to Java. You can call him Coffee. We have become good friends. I regret talking bad about him behind his back all these years. He's a little boring on his own, but aren't we all? Pair him up with Flavored Creamer and he is the life of the party! Especially with Miss York peppermint patty creamer! Coffee, I'm glad we met. I'm sorry I snubbed you for so long. I have to warn you though, I may be a fair-weather friend. My warm months belong to Sweet Ice Tea.

When I'm not day dreaming of warm, sunny days, I try to live in the moment and enjoy the quiet of winter. I may not like the physical aspects the cold brings, but with it comes a renewing of the mind; a time to be still and refocus on life and to reorganize priorities.

Winter is a little confused today with temps in the 50s. Maybe he's trying to get on my good side. Even so, Jack Frost, you may not be my best friend, but really, you're not so bad.

Pictures for week 4 of 2012:
It is truly special that my kids have four great grandmas and three great grandpas still living. We don't see them all as much as we would like. My maternal grandparents, however, are very involved in my kids' lives. Grandma and Grandpa are blessed with good health and mobility, making it easier for them to play an active role.


No man rocks a purple shirt like Grandpa.

Emmaly got to listen to some of the old gospel records that  I remember
from childhood. She wasn't impressed. :)
I love how my kids get to play with the same toys that I did. This Fisher Price
town was my favorite. 





3 comments:

Summer said...

Second photo down, why does the power cord mysteriously disappear under the pillow and not come out the other side?

jodyfoznot said...

I also love a couchful of kids. Cute pictures of F and C beating eggs. I love that you can see the salt flying down from F's shaker. Grandpa's purple shirt? Bwahahah! Very funny!

Ah, we have such great memories of Grandma and Grandpa's house. That record player was used a lot!

Unknown said...

My grandparents had the same record player. So cool...