This year I told myself I will let summer leave gracefully. I will not cry and beg her to stay. I will be ready for autumn and welcome her with a leaf wreath on the door and pumpkins on the porch instead of the usual dirty looks and attitude.
To me the yearly Apple Festival Parade is a good bye summer, hello fall celebration.
I really do love my summer. She has a way of bringing out the fun in me. But there are some things about autumn that I like just as much and somethings that I may like even more (gasp!).
- harvesty menus like pork roast with carrots, potatoes, onions and cabbage
- the scent of burning leaves and earthy nights
- colors that take my breath away
- air that feels so perfect, you don't even know it's there
- jeans and sweatshirts
- sleeping snuggled in blankets with the windows open
- watching the kids catch the leaves falling from the trees
- campfires at night
- haunting music from the loudly ringing wind chimes
- football...ok, not really, but I do like watching a good game once in a while
- flannel sheets
- candy corn, M&Ms, and honey roasted peanuts-- the melody of autumn love
Autumn, we started off very rocky this year. Gusty winds, 48 degrees and hail? You don't have to be so abrupt with your presence. I really have always liked you and not just for your beauty. Please be a little less aggressive in your demeanor and we can have a wonderful 3 months together.
And, summer, with mixed emotions I bid you farewell. Thanks for the daily hugs of warmth and kisses of fun. You bring sunshine in my life and joy to my days. I promise to think of you often.