Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Birthday Girls Part 2

Something you may or may not know about me is that I am a huge procrastinator. Just ask my high school classmates. I was voted #1 Procrastinator. Wait... I'm not suppose to be proud of that?? Well, at least I was voted for something. (I think I was also voted "Always Late") Shocking, huh?! I know, you're thinking I should have won Smartest or Best Looking but it was tough competition. :-)

Anywho...way back in April I was telling about my Birthday Girls. I meant to talk about Brooklyn a few days later. A few days easily turns into a few weeks in this house. (Just look at the expiration date on the sour cream in my fridge.) Without anymore delay let me introduce my sweet daughter Brooklyn Alexis.

That is a phone in her hand, although not the phone that she now has (another story). Our gift to our teens is a phone. It may seem like a generous gift but they have to pay for their own monthly lines. So it is really up to them if they want one or not. I really like them having their own phones! It's like they have supervised freedom! We now have THREE teenagers in the house. Shew! Some days this place is teeming with at.ti.tude. But mostly I can't imagine life without these wonderful minors!

Miss B is affectionately known as Babbling Brook. Believe me....it fits. She got the nick name when she was a wee one. She shared a bedroom with Austin and Dakota. So many nights I would hear, "Mommy, make Brooklyn stop talking! I can't sleep." She would literally talk herself to Dreamland. Eleven years later things aren't much different. The sound is usually singing now. And this girl can SING! I love listening to her. B has a  heart like no other. She is an amazing  child  young lady who blesses so many with her bubbly personality, loving heart and compassionate view of life.
Babies and little ones are drawn to her, as are her peers. Her enthusiasm is contagious. She has a heart for the Lord and I am constantly in awe of her perceptiveness. He has great things planned for her future. I love that she still comes to me EVERY night before bed to pray with her. I use to have this unsettling feeling that God would take her when she was little. (Shame on me!) When she was 3 she said to me, "Mommy, did you know that deaf people can hear God?" It came from nowhere. I didn't even know she understood what "deaf" meant. Then at age 4 she came to me crying because she wanted to "go home to Heaven and be with Jesus". Again, there was nothing to prompt her to feel that way. (Do you blame me for feeling unsettled?) She is also my one child who will apologize for "crimes" she has committed that I was clueless to. Example: "Mom, please forgive me for thinking bad thoughts about you." (after she was disciplined for something). Yes... I may have a perfect child....Ok....not really. She is human, after all. AND a teen! The sassiness has seeped in. But I can handle a little sass. I think if you would ask my mom she would tell you that I was the Queen of Sassy. (Well, I had a lot to say as a teenager. I'm sorry that my words came out sounding cheeky, Mom.) Being a parent is a hard job! But it is also very rewarding. I feel so honored that God has put Brooklyn in our family. I'm not deserving of such amazing kids but I sure am thankful! I love you, Brookie Cookie!
We took the girls to El Arriero for their birthday lunch. The food is yummy and so is the location!

1 comment:

jodyfoznot said...

I love that Babbling Brook of yours! She really is such a pure soul. You are truly blessed to have such wonderful kids.

Three teens! You knew this day was a-comin', but it sure came fast! I know my day is a-comin', too! Yikes!

This post is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful young woman.